Autism South Africa is a National Body serving children and adults with Autism and their families in South Africa. Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and autism are both general terms for a group of complex disorders of brain development.
Autism South Africa (A;SA) aspires to achieving a society in which persons with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) enjoy all the rights and opportunities to meet their needs and fulfill their potentials, throughout their lives, as loved and valued members of their families and communities
A;SA STRIVES TO:
* Celebrate and champion the diversity and creativity of persons with ASD;
* Partner with and be relevant to persons with ASD and their families and communities;
* Identify and address the differing and changing needs of babies, children, adolescents and adults with ASD;
* Promote the rights and advance the interests of all those within the autism community;
* Lead ASD awareness, education, therapy and advocacy throughout South Africa; and
* Draw on and contribute to national and international experience and expertise in the field of ASD, while retaining a regional and local focus on challenges and opportunities
WHAT DOES A;SA DO?
Parent support is offered to parents and is done through various channels depending on their needs
* Telephonic Support
* Support via email
* Face to face contact support
We are also embarking on an exciting project together with the World Health Organisation and the Centre for Autism Research in Africa, where we are piloting their Caregivers Skills Training program in South Africa.
* Organise: Build power from the base
* Educate legislators, influencing decisions
* Educate public, increasing awareness of ASD
* Support and facilitate ASD research
* Mobilize community for ASD
* Gather, network, share information and resources
* Promote and facilitate self-advocacy within ASD community
* Lobby for and against specific legislation and policy affecting ASD communit
* Take action at agencies
* Bring pressure to bear on policy makers and implementers
* Take up the causes those that society ignores
* Training and capacity building to ensure an environment and community nurturing and enabling to people with ASD
* Mentoring and training of local ASD focused organisations to ensure reach into all corners of South Africa and an extensive ASD network
Please login to view all listing details!